Menu Items

Tuesday, May 30, 2017

RECIPE: The best Meyer Lemon marmalade ever. Plus new marmalade flavors for 2017!

Got a whole lotta marmalade goin' on here! For the last two years I have been harvesting oranges from my parents' Navel Orange tree. Or shall I say, I have been asked to..."take some home" and end up with about 30 lbs. No problem I can put these to good use! And now that my mother's Meyer Lemon tree is in full production I can "take some of those, too". About a giant grocery bag full.

I set to work and spent the better part of the weekend with my face in front of a boiling batch of citrusy goodness.

My mother's oranges always make wonderful marmalade and I couldn't be more satisfied with the outcome, however, the stand out for me this year is the Meyer Lemon Marmalade. I tried a new recipe and result is a thick, sweet and tangy, oh-so-lemony flavor without a hint of bitterness. For a bit of variety I made a cranberry version, as well. More cranberry forward in flavor with a stiffer gel with a balanced lemony flavor. All in all this was a very successful weekend!

Meyer Lemon Marmalade Recipe
(adapted from Food & Wine)
12 - 14 Meyer Lemons (or 3 lbs), washed
3 cups sugar

Hearth & Larder Meyer Lemon Marmalade

Hearth & Larder Meyer Lemon Marmalade
Hearth & Larder Meyer Lemon Marmalade

Hearth & Larder Meyer Lemon Marmalade



DIRECTIONS
Wash the lemons thoroughly. Next halve the lemons crosswise and juice them, reserving the juice. With the edge of a spoon, scrape the membranes and seeds from the halves revealing the pith. Cut halve the halves then slice the peels 1/8 inch thick. Discard seeds and membranes. The pith in the peels provides ample pectin to gel.

BLANCHING
Blanching tenderizes the peel and removes bitterness.
In a large, heavy saucepan, cover the strips with 8 cups of cold water and bring to a boil. Boil for about 1 minute. Drain the strips and rinse under cold running water. Blanch two more times. On the third time, drain the strips but do not rinse them.

COOKING
Return the strips to the pot and add the reserved juice and sugar. Bring to a boil, stirring to dissolve the sugar. Continue boiling (stir periodically and keep an eye out so it doesn't boil over) until the marmalade sets, about 30 minutes.

That's it! Spoon the marmalade into sterilized jars and seal. Makes about 4 - 8oz jars.

Hearth & Larder Meyer Lemon Marmalade