Menu Items

Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Super cute fluffy kittens!!!

Okay, so they're not exactly fluffy...
But super cute, right? Admittedly, this blog post is a bit of a "filler" one. I've just been taking a little break from blogging the last two weeks so I resorted to trickery to get your attention. I know; lame. But now that you're here why not stick around! I'll even throw in a recipe. But you have to read through to the bottom to get it. We cool? Cool.


Anyway...
So, now that I have a few Saturday's off from selling my stuff I headed over to the Trout Lake Farmer's Market here in East Vancouver last Saturday to buy some other people's stuff. It's about a five minute drive from my house which is most convenient...and most excellent. Not surprisingly, but not entirely expected, it was absolutely PACKED! But it was a gorgeous sunny day so what could be better? Umm....a million dollars? Well, considering the crappy summer we've had, I think the sun is a fair trade off.

Normally, I tend to only get specific things at Farmer's Market. I mean, it's easy to spend $50 on groceries and I just don't have that kind of cash lining my wallet. But this time I decided to splurge and just picked up what I wanted. I couldn't believe how beautiful the apricots were! Small with a gorgeous blush of red and quite good. I also bought three kinds of new potatoes, kale, farm fresh eggs, sweet golden beets, heirloom tomatoes of all colors, corn and some garlic. And speaking of garlic...


It's gone up $2 per pound since last year at a whopping $12 per lb. It's wonderful, don't get me wrong but it's a bit steep for my budget. Probably the weather was a factor in the higher costs. Non the less, I picked out a few choice bulbs. Next up heirloom toms! Boy I've got plans for you....and a recipe. Read on!

Fresh heirloom tomatoes were abundant. I picked up a few to make my fresh raw tomato sauce for spaghettini. It's a simple recipe but imperative you use fresh ripe sweet summer heirloom tomatoes. Nothing less will do. (the recipe's coming I promise!)

This tart was made using some of the farmer's market finds including, farm eggs, kale, potatoes, beets and garlic. I also added some sauteed bacon (from J,N & Z on the Drive) and feta cheese but I think goat cheese would have been better. It needed a bit of tang. Still, it was delish! (This isn't the recipe part....keep reading)

For dinner last night I made roast chicken with roasted rosemary fingerling potatoes from the farmer's market. They are so sweet and creamy! Olive oil, freshly minced rosemary, my chipotle garlic salt and freshly ground pepper all tossed together and spread out on a baking sheet. Roasted at 375˚ for about 1/2 hour or so. I like mine crisp. (again, not the recipe...keep going)

And lastly, the heirlooms were looking so good I had to buy a couple lbs. Expensive yes, but worth it? Hell yes! And now we come to the recipe part. Yay!  It's a summer recipe. Fresh is the only description that accurately describes the flavors here. Fresh because it is not cooked but simply tossed together with freshly boiled pasta and served. Yup. No cooking involved and couldn't be easier. 

FRESH HEIRLOOM TOMATO SAUCE with SPAGHETTINI
(adapted from Masterclass in Italian Cooking)

INGREDIENTS

500g (a little over a pound) ripe, sweet heirloom tomatoes. Try to find a variety of colors.
a large handful of fresh basil
1 clove fresh garlic (preferably new season) thinly sliced
extra virgin olive oil
sea salt to taste
spaghettini or angel hair pasta, cooked al dente

Peel the tomatoes: Set a large pot of water to boil on the stove and prepare an ice bath (a bowl of water with ice). With the tip of a sharp knife nick the side of each tomato. Drop the tomatoes in the boiling for about 30 seconds. Remove with a slotted spoon and drop them into the ice bath to stop the cooking. The skins should slip right off. 

Coarsely chop and place into a sterile jar or sealable container along with the olive oil, and sliced garlic.  Tear the basil into small pieces and to the tomatoes. Season with salt to taste and mix thoroughly.  Place the jar in the refrigerator and chill over night.

The next night place the tomatoes in a large sauté pan and set on very low. Boil your pasta until it's a little less than al dente and add it to the tomatoes. Raise the heat and simmer for about ten minutes to heat up the sauce and finish cooking the pasta. Don't over cook!

Serve with a little pecorino or parmesan if you wish but you don't really need any cheese with this flavorful dish. Enjoy!