Menu Items

Thursday, March 24, 2011

Sourdough pita bread.

So 1970's, man.
I remember pita pockets back in the health food craze of the 70's. Stuffed with sprouts, felafel, chopped salad, tuna salad...whatever leftovers were in the icebox. They were sort of a novelty when we were kids. But having made fresh ones...fresh sourdough ones, it's no longer a novelty but a staple in our home.
Soft and moist, fresh made pita bread is so good. I'll make a dozen and pop them in the freezer to use as needed.


I tried two different recipes with two different methods. Both using a sourdough starter. One baked and one cooked in a skillet. Now both yielded delicious breads but I have to say, I like the latter better. I found them to be more moist and you could get them nice and brown with some lovely scorched spots. It takes about four times as long to make though since I can only cook one at a time. I think I'll try using my griddle plate on the BBQ next time. I did this making another stove-top bread - Sourdough English Muffins. Worked like a charm!


To stuff these bad boys I made some tabouleh and beet hummus. Absolutely stunning with it's bright pink hue. Here's the recipe.

BEET HUMMUS

INGREDIENTS

5 medium beets, peeled, halved, simmered in water until tender (about 1/2 hour)
1.5 cups canned chick peas
3 TB ground, toasted sesame seeds (you could use tahini but I like fresh made better as it's less bitter)
1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
3 cloves fresh garlic, roughly chopped
1 tsp lemon zest (optional)
2 TB extra virgin olive oil
1/2 - 1 tsp sea salt
freshly ground black pepper

METHOD

Place all the ingredients in a food processor (or blender) and pulse until smooth. Taste and adjust seasonings and ingredients as desired. Chill and store in the icebox for up to 3 days or freeze for longer storage.