Menu Items

Tuesday, November 30, 2010

The stretch waistband. GREAT invention.


Oh, the drudgery of having to test all of these recipes.
Every time I see a bread recipe I think, can I use my sourdough starter? And upon finding this recipe for sourdough cinnamon rolls on The Fresh Loaf - I hit pay dirt. It's a great recipe and I love the fact there are mashed potatoes in it. Neat, eh? As with every sourdough starter the hydration level varies depending on how you feed it. I use a 1-2-3 ratio of starter, water and flour. Some folks do 1-1-1. My starter is fairly wet so I had to do a little tweaking with the amount of flour I used. Other than that I didn't change much.


The filling is simple (the best things usually are). Raisins, brown sugar, butter, cream, vanilla and of course cinnamon. It proved to be quite a challenge to roll this sucker up, let alone cut it into to rolls. My dough came out rather soft and even though I chilled the filling the lax dough was hard to handle.

They rose fairly well after a night in the icebox and continued for another hour on the counter. Word to the wise. Make sure you place a jelly roll pan underneath your rolls. The filling has a way of bubbling up and out on to the floor of your oven. And in my case, started a small fire (yikes!).



I probably should have baked these in a deeper pan but just didn't have the right size. Regardless of any technical difficulties they came out AMAZING! I opted out of the cream cheese frosting as they're plenty sweet for my tooth. I brushed the tops with melted butter and that's it.

Fresh out of the oven!


A close up of the moist and tender crumb.